October 2, 2013

Autumn Design Challenge Reveal

   I was one of the 20 winners that were randomly chosen by Caroline of Blueberri Beads and Lesley of THEA Elements and received some of their beautiful components to participate in the Autumn Design Challenge.



  I was so excited when the package arrived and impatiently opened it to find these beauties:
 


  The metal pieces are made by Lesley and the ceramic beads are made by Caroline. 

  This was the first time I was using bigger metal components and handmade ceramic beads and I wanted to make them justice.  I have to say I spent a lot of time contemplating the components and thinking about the arrangements and additional beads and type of pieces  I want to make. It seems my inspiration got distracted too often and I kept changing my mind... 

  Finally, I have finished 3 different pieces: two bracelets and a brooch.

  For the first bracelet I've used Lesley's bracelet bar - I wanted to highlight the floral design on the bar and keep it simple, elegant at the same time. In my small seed-beads stash I've found some golden metallic cubes and decided to make a narrow brick stitch belt on both sides. To make the "back side" more interesting I've put some beads on the rings between the belt and the clasp.




  For the second bracelet I used all Caroline's ceramic beads and recreated similar beads in polymer clay in a brighter color for some contrast. A piece of cotton cord, a few knots and here it is:





  The only component left was the metallic leaf pendant. I wanted to make something different than usual with it and that's how this brooch came out. The flower is polymer clay with some acrylics, bronze patina and Inka golds. I'm still not happy with the result and I'll probably change or add something. 



 
  Thank you Lesley and Caroline for this opportunity to play and create with your components!!

  And now take a cup of coffee or tea and take a virtual trip to see the creations of the hostesses and the other participants of this fun challenge:




Be happy,
Alenka
 

17 comments:

Heidi Post said...

Fun pieces - I think the brooch looks better than you think it does, but then we're all our own harshest critics. Great job!

Unknown said...

Love your pieces! The brick stitch cubes show off that bracelet bar perfectly, but I have to admit, that second bracelet just grabs me! The simple knots reinforce the natural look, and I love your polymer beads accenting the piece. Awesome work!

Mags said...

The knotted bracelet is awesome, I love the orange with brown, great work!

Caroline said...

Beautiful designs, they all capture Autumn perfectly! I especially love the bracelet with my leaf, I wouldn't have thought to use such a large focal, but it looks fantastic!

Thank you for taking part in our challenge!

the Moon and Seven Stars said...

I really like all your designs - I think the brooch is my favourite!

Christine Altmiller said...

All 3 designs are beautiful. I like the simple architecture of the first bracelet~your beads were the perfect support for the component. And the thought to make more beads but contrasting colors for the second bracelet worked perfectly~what a lovely, earthy feel to that one. I Love the brooch! You did a great job on that~all beauties!!!

Anonymous said...

These are all lovely,the bick stitch is fabulous and i love the brooch it so original :)

K said...

Saj ne morem verjeti, da bom to napisala, ker mi broške sploh ne potegnejo, ampak broška se mi zdi perfektna!! Taka jesenska za na šal ... ful dobra! Ali pa na srajci namesto kravate!

Janine said...

Fun pieces. Love the brooch and the bracelet.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with that brooch? I think you had a great idea there. I also love your knotted bracelet.

Ambra

Lesley said...

Great pieces with a true feel for autumn...thanks so much for joining the challenge.

Jo-Ann said...

I think that the brooch is my favourite.

Alice said...

Wonderful pieces! I love the idea of the brooch! It's lovely!

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Alenka,
Your pieces are beautiful. The brick stitched bands really show case Lesley's bracelet bar. The knotted bracelet is so pretty I like that you made some beads to contrast and brighten up Caroline's dark beads.
I love the brooch the flower you made is beautiful and it brings out the beautiful patina in Lesley's leaf.
Therese

AntiquityTravelers said...

Really lovely Alenka! what a fun hop with wonderful beads. I love the first bracelet, but I have a soft spot for Lesley's bracelet bars! But I really like the last piece, so unusual and kinda Miro. Love that!

Anonymous said...

Lovely autumn pieces, I love the brooch :)

Amy S. said...

Alenka - I think the brooch is great! I love the other pieces too! You showcased your package of goodies beautifully!